The “other” message folder on Facebook – you could be missing out on wins!

In General
October 13, 2011

The “other” messages folder on Facebook

This was recently brought to my attention, and I had absolutely no idea about this.  I imagine most of you don’t either.  On Facebook, there are your regular messages (private), but did you know that there is also another folder?  This one is labelled “other”.  I just checked mine and I found a huge amount of messages that I didn’t even know about!  Most weren’t important, but many other folks I have talked reported finding actual winning notifications in that folder.

According to the Facebook ToS, when a company holds a contest on Facebook, they “must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles (timelines) or Pages”. Not only can winners be missing out on prizes when they are notified via messages, it is against the guidelines to notify in that manner.  Since not all companies appear to follow these rules, it’s up to you to check to see if you are a winner.

To find your “other” folder on Facebook, go your Facebook “home” screen. On the upper left hand side, you will see your messages (with a number next to it), like this:

Click on messages, then you should see the word “other” right under messages (still on the left hand side):

Chances are you will have a huge, gigantic list of messages you didn’t even know existed! When you click on a message, you will see all messages from that sender in a group. After you have looked at all of their messages, you have a few options of what to do with them.

If you want to save/archive the message for future reference, you would click the “x” next to the message. This will archive it (which will only put the message at the very end of the rest of the messages).

If you choose not to archive, you have other choices:

When you click on a message by a certain sender (it will tell you how many messages there are), click on their message and it will pull them all up.

From here, click on “actions” (top right of page), and you will see a pull down menu. Several options will show, including the option to delete all messages (this means all by this sender – not all messages in your box). You can also choose to move this string of messages to your regular message inbox, or you can forward, mark as unread, etc.

This will take awhile to go through initially, but once you have your “other” messages under control, it will be easier to keep up with them, and to check daily for possible win notifications, or other messages that might be important.

Were you aware of the “other” messages on Facebook?

src=”http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js”>

34 Responses to “The “other” message folder on Facebook – you could be missing out on wins!”

1. LeeAnn says:

I had no idea. My messages are mostly junk, but there were a ton in there. Thanks for sharing!

2. I had no idea that was there either. I just checked mine and had over 100 messages in there. Oops! :P

3. Rachel says:

CRAP! I won a plum district code three months ago and through the gal spaced on sending it to me. NOPE – it’s in there. Thank you so much for sharing this!

4. So I went and looked and I had important messages in there! Thanks so much for this…off to weed through them all!

5. Your right, I didn’t even know. Thanks for sharing!

6. Cathy W says:

Thanks, not as bad as MY inbox gets but still…

7. Jackie says:

Thanks for letting me know…I had no idea. There was a winning notificiation from August that I never replied to because I didnt know it was there. ! Cleaning it out and keeping up with it. Thanks for sharing this!

8. Crystal says:

Whoa, I never noticed those, either! I had a bunch in there- nothing important, but some like a year old!

9. Brandy says:

Wow my other folder is FULL didn’t have a clue. I had seen “other” under messages before but I just never really looked. Interesting.

10. Carolyn G says:

I had no idea. Thanks for the info

11. Mel says:

Wow, I had over 100! Thanks for the info.

12. Stefani says:

Thanks for pointing that out. I had 100 “other” messages all the way back from January.

13. I actually knew about that, but it’s always junk messages from pages that I follow.

14. blueviolet says:

Oh geez, I had over a hundred in there!

15. Colleen says:

I didn’t realize that. I had 66 messages thanks!

• You are welcome! I had a reader email me this morning that she found 3 wins in her “other” folder.

I wonder how Facebook determines what goes in the regular messages and what goes in “other”? Why don’t they put them all in one place? LOL.

16. Oh wow, I had no idea! Thanks so much for this info!

17. Kayla says:

I had absolutely NO idea about this! Thankfully when I checked, I only had about 9 and none of them were very important, but there were a few contests that I missed O.o

Thanks so much for the information Jennifer!

18. Donna B. says:

I didn’t know about this – thanks for posting it! Off to check mine now.

19. Oh heavens, I will have to go and look now, thanks!

20. I found this by accident too a few weeks ago! I had so many messages in it!!!!

21. [...] Jennifer from Eighty MPH Mom wrote a great post that explains how the Other messages folder works. [...]

22. Thank you for letting us know this. I wish Facebook would stop making so many changes because it’s too crazy and confusing. I even had some problems findings wall posts from others until I realized you have to click on three different things and they show up.

23. Kelly says:

I did not know this. I don’t know how I could have missed it but since Facebook is always changing who knows how long it’s been there. Thanks for sharing!

24. Sarah L says:

I had a bazillion messages. One quote caught my eye: “So I’m trying to find the most effective way to share info and updates and now FB is telling me that I will not be able to do this after 9/30.’
    And sure enough, none of the messages were dated after 9/30.

25. I have to go check this out now. I had no idea!

26. Tabathia B says:

I kept seeing that I had over 100 messages and just kept ignoring them figuring it was from replys, but now I know. Thanks.

27. Ann Hagen says:

I had no idea. Thanks for an excellent explanation!

28. Janet W. says:

Wow, no clue that was there. I’m so bad at this facebook stuff so it doesn’t surprise me. Thanks for posting about this!

29. Tracey Quinn says:

Hi, I knew about the others inbox and used to get at least 5 messages per day then one day they just stopped and I have not had one since. My profile is set to anyone can send me a message, do I need to do anything else I would hate to miss out on a win.

Thanks
    Tracey x

30. flako says:

hello.. need help here… i can see my other folder as a administrator user (@ my main page) but in other page that i create (same account) y have some messages and today i sent a message to these folder and dont know how to get it back .. i cant see where is the “other folder” once im into my secondary page … thank you