Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

By Erin
In Contributors
August 24, 2013

This review was made possible by Sport Chalet.[*]

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

With back to school comes consideration of backpacks. Perhaps your kids have laptops or tablets to tote around with their abundance of books? That can make finding the right backpack tricky. Thankfully, Sport Chalet carries a variety of trendy, comfortable, and tech safe backpacks to choose from.

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet Okay, okay. I may not send my child off to school, but I was curious to see one of the packs Sport Chalet recommended. I specifically chose the JanSport Right Pack DE Backpack for The Mister. You see, he is an electrician, but he also is trained to troubleshoot and work on DOT and venue signs. So he totes around a backpack for his work laptop and miscellaneous cables that he may need.

I’ve seen inside his work van… and it makes my OCD cringe. Boxes of parts, wire galore, outlets, and breakers all jumbled around – not exactly the best conditions to stow a laptop! Especially in a backpack that isn’t built to protect laptops/tablets.

back to school

When I showed The Mister his new backpack he looked it over and nodded his approval. The next morning, he left for work before I was up. But I noticed he took the Right Pack DE Backpack with him. He wasn’t going to wait for me to take pictures! *chuckle* So he had already broken it in by the time I took pictures.

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

yes, his laptop fell victim to a sticker happy child…

His paperwork is paperless so without his laptop he’d be lost! The JanSport Right Pack DE Backpack has a built in padded laptop sleeve that holds his work laptop snugly. It’s important that it is kept safe, which I am sure can be said of anyone’s laptop, as he uses it to fill out work orders immediately after each job, email the office, as well as email the sign company.

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

Features

* Capacity: 1900 cu in *Dimensions: 18″ x 13″ x 8.5″ * Internal tricot lined laptop sleeve that fits most 15″ laptops/tablets * One large main compartment, front pocket with electronic organizer, and front stash pocket * Thick padded shoulder straps

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

The front pockets are generously sized. A student could easily pop in their headphones, pencil/pen pouch, calculator, and more. The pack itself is lightweight to keep him from getting overburdened. Like all JanSport backpacks, it comes with a lifetime warranty {through JanSport} and is built to last – made with durable materials like 915D cordura {a nylon fabric} and suede.

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

The Mister’s thoughts:

I am a fan of Jansport backpacks and have been since high school. They have always provided a fantastic line up of backpacks for every taste and need and the Right Pack DE backpack is of no exception. For a few years now, I’ve been required to take a laptop to work and I have utilized the only suitable bag in my possession, the Jansport Airlift. It is a nice bag but it is also big and terribly clunky for where I would need to bring my lap top, after all, it is a hiking type pack. This new pack is great, it is already noticeably lighter and still has plenty of space for any extras I need to bring on the job.

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

Buy:

Sport Chalet is a sporting goods retailer with stores in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah. Of course, you can purchase the JanSport Right Pack DE Backpack for $65 online if you are not local to a Sport Chalet location. Or browse all the backpacks & daypacks Sport Chalet has to offer – There is a backpack for every one!

Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet

Connect:

Feel free to connect with Sport Chalet on Facebook and Twitter for expert tips, gear reviews, and contests!

* [Erin received the mentioned product{s}, free of charge, to facilitate her review. All opinions are those of the reviewer only. Review product provided by Sport Chalet.

Erin is a hopelessly devoted wife & momma to a five year old girl and a one year old boy. For the past year she has been on a quest to get back to the basics...

118 Responses to “Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet”

1. Laura Miller says:

Great idea for summer travels!!! Love to pack the kids backpacks!

2. Meredith says:

Cute! Love the organziation potential. Even money if I’d forget what I organized, though.

3. Wanda Tracey says:

It’s nice to see that Sport Chalet has such a diverse selection to choose ferom and meet everyone’s personal needs.They look awesome too.Thanks for a great review on them.I am pretty sure the kids would like one for school.They have to carry so many books everyday and these look comfortable enough that way too.

4. Sandy VanHoey says:

wow, they have a large selection of backpacks. My grandson needs mesh for his school but the others can take any backpack. My granddaughters would love their The North Face Mini Base Camp Free Fall Backpack, too cute

5. Denise N. says:

Oh my goodness, the Jansport backpack still looks the same as when I used them in school. Love that classic look. The Sports Chalet looks to offer a great selection or great products.

6. shelly says:

Love that it holds your laptop! My son could use this for high school into college.

7. Dorothy Teel says:

This is very informative and important for anyone who has to carry a laptop back and forth to their job, or classes. I like the Sports Chalet by Jansport and would think the wheel model would make someones life easier and at least their back muscles.

8. Kelly Kriefall says:

Locking at this backpack you would never know of all the electric treasures stored with-in!

9. vickie couturier says:

those are some really good backpacks,,my daughter carried a jansport in highschool for years an it lasted her a good long time

10. natalie parvis says:

Gotta love the classic JanSport backpacks!

11. Michele P says:

nice rugged backpacks, definitely the way to go… JanSport has been around for a long time, and hubby also uses a backpack for work too.

12. ANN*H says:

My one son used to have a Jansport backpack and it sure took a beating I tell you. They are really made sturdy and durable. Seems like the Sport Chalet has more of a selection to pick from. I actually think the Jansport one is still here somewhere after years of use. thanks for the new info

13. Andrea G says:

What a great selection. The Jansports take me right back to when I was in school.

14. Rebecca Miller says:

I used JanSport when I was younger and in school. Definitely my go to backpack. I love how strong the material is, love the amount of storage, and definitely am liking the new designs. Although there is nothing better then the classic at least to me.

15. Adrianne B says:

The internal laptop sleeve is a great feature- it would also be great for a tablet. I love a good backpack that doesn’t fall apart by Winter Break!!

16. amy pugmire says:

I love all the cute designs they have and how organized it is.

17. Robin Wilson says:

I remember them from WAAAY back! Glad to know that they are still around and making great products. My son’s backpack is so heavy that I can hardly life it. I don’t know how he carries it around campus. Will try to check their’s out when I get some $$$!

18. Michelle L says:

I love these backpacks, they last forever!

19. Rachel Young says:

My mom always bought Jan Sport backpacks for us when I was a kid, great backpacks!

20. Gina Brickell says:

I think a durable backpack is important. I got my son a Jansport last year for school. I figured I’d spend extra to get him one that would last him the entire school year and guess what? I did!!! It was still in great shape by the time school was over! Loved it!

21. Janet W. says:

Looks like they have a great selection of backpacks! We look forward to shopping for backpacks each year!

wish we had a sports chalet where I live, they sell great merchandise.

23. Angela tschudy says:

I bet these backpacks would last forever!

24. Julie Wood says:

I have gotten the Jansport Backpacks and these backpacks last forever. I think that Sport Chalet has a wonderful assortment of different backpacks to buy for anyone. Very nice looking backpacks.

25. HilLesha says:

JanSport backpacks are the best!

26. Dana Rodriguez says:

JanSport makes the best backpacks you can buy!

27. Stacey says:

I love JanSport backpacks! It kept that classic look while also having the built in laptop case…I think I need to get one of these!

28. heather says:

These look like they would be super handy for trips and for school thanks for sharing I will keep them in mind.

29. Chase smith says:

The fact that its made to hold a laptop shows that the company os modrrnizing for the common now a day student

30. Sherrie C. says:

JanSport makes a quality functional backpack. I had one in college and my hubby has one that he uses for just about everything and he loves it.

31. We home school, so don’t have to worry about toting around a bunch of text books, but we still need sturdy backpacks for our overnight field trips and to lug around a vast array of electronics that the boys just can’t do without. It’s nice to see a review for this sturdy brand, highlighting all of the nice added features that make electronics, like tablets, secure. Thank you for the review!

32. Katie says:

Looks like an awesome laptop backpack – I have a girly one for myself, but my husband could use something like that.

33. mrsshukra says:

I will get the teen one of these bags, love the functionality and design!

34. Kitty says:

I’ve used some of their backpacks before. They’re pretty durable!

35. cassie says:

anything to make the guys more organized – lol!! my hubby wont do it himself but admits that once i set it all up for him, with everything in it’s place, it’s much easier in life! haha

36. Carol ONeil says:

This Sport Chalet Back Pack looks Awesome. It looks like your husband fell in love with it!

37. Yona says:

Jansport has really come a long way from their classic backpacks – I remember it was really something when we were kids to have a Jansport…and it still is.

38. Michelle F. says:

they look really durable

39. Sandy VanHoey says:

I believe this is the type of backpack my daughter had for my grandson last year. It was great and still is after him using it all last year.

40. I had a Janspot backpack when I was in school, and I used the same one for at least 5 years. 5 years of no locker and having to carry ALL my books with me everywhere, goes to say that these are awesome backpacks.

41. Robin O says:

Getting the right fit in a backpack is really important. The JanSport Right Pack DE Backpack looks like a great option. Thanks for the photos and detailed review.

42. Elena says:

I love the backpacks. I would get one for my son

43. Mya Murphy says:

I have to admit, I have NO need for backpacks. But I love the look of them.

44. Dana Rodriguez says:

JanSport backpacks have been around ever since I can remember.Great products!

45. Kayla Potega says:

All these back to school events and posts makes me wish I could join in on the fun! There’s nothing like going school supply shopping that makes my heart soar (yes, I’m a wee bit of an oddball) ^.^

What a great review! I love the fact that their backpacks can not only be used for school but can be used for all sorts of things like working a job; very versatile!

46. Lindsay Lee says:

I love JanSport bookbags!!! I used to have a pink one in college!!! That is so awesome that you can put your laptop in the bag so it can be safe!

47. heather says:

Ahh the jansport takes me back really cool backpacks i want another one now

48. judy gardner says:

i love that it is tech safe – my nephew in college could use this

49. ellen ross says:

I remember how much I loved my sturdy backpack in school. it really does make a difference!

50. Vanessa Coker says:

My husband loves these backpacks! I got to borrow it for an airplane trip I had to make alone with my toddler (I needed a backpack so I could keep my hands free) and it was awesome! light and simple enough. I loved it!

51. Maria Iemma says:

Very good looking backpacks. My kids have been using JanSport backpacks since they started middle school. They are durable and offer great organization.

52. ANN*H says:

These are good sturdy backpacks. WIth lots of compartment for school things. I got one of these years ago and it still is holding up.

53. shaunie says:

I think this is nice as well and seems comfortable especially if you are really carrying a lot of books

54. mrsshukra says:

I like Sports Chalet’s selection! JanSport is a classic line, my family loves JanSport!

55. Rachel says:

I have a Jansport backpack that I have owned for more than 15 years. Now I don’t use it much anymore, but it got a ton of use! I wonder if they are still as high quality as they were back then!

56. Barbara Montag says:

This is the perfect back pack – love the colors!

57. Barbara Montag says:

Great back pack – you’ll have a place for everything!

58. Robin Wilson says:

LOL at the stickers! I have had to ban them when my little niece comes to visit. Used to find them everywhere when she would leave. But I do love the backpack. Used to carry one almost like it back in the day. They make good quality products for the money!

59. June S. says:

I like these different kind of back packs, I really like the one on wheels that has a handle too.

60. June S. says:

I really like the one that has a handle & that is on wheels, that way you don’t have to carry it.

61. cheryl c. says:

I like the sturdiness of the material and the fact that it has padded shoulder straps.

62. Julie Wood says:

They have very nice backpacks at Sport Chalet and there are so many ones that I like for back to school. Everything fits in one of these backpacks because they are so roomy and have pockets to fit pencils and other items.

63. Jessica Givrson says:

I always loved Jansport backpacks when I was younger but my mom would never buy them for me, so when I went away to college and could buy whatever I wanted I did! I have a few different colors!

64. Stephanie says:

Its so hard to find a good backpack, my sons in 6th grade and his stuff is getting heavy.

65. Jenny says:

I really like the JanSport backpacks for my kids.

66. sandra davis says:

This is something that i definately need to check into for my oldest son that is in college. he has to carry his laptop around with him all the time.

67. Holly G. says:

I too, have been a fan of Jansport since h.s. I thought they were more outdoorsy, it’s great that they are coming out with places to store your laptop.

68. Jamie says:

I love jansport book bags they last forever.

69. Sonya Morris says:

My daughter has a Jansport and has used it for several years. Great quality for a great price!

70. Crystal says:

That looks almost exactly like the backpack I had in high school, except mine was blue! Some things never change!

71. intan nuzulan says:

i think thats an amazing bag to travelling. am i right?

72. Beanybopp says:

These backpacks worked well while we were still in elementary school and then middle school hit. As they were ok during those 3 years, when I went to school, we tend to rip them about halfway through the year. High school…FORGET IT! I would kill these before the end of the first trimester. I was horrible with backpacks because I would just shove EVERYTHING in it as much as I could. My mom ended up getting all of us LL Beans which lasted us for years. I killed mine in 11th grade halfway through the year but it lasted longer than anything else I have had lol My husband never had any issues with this brand through his school years (still has his) and I’m sure this company has changed a lot since we have had them. lol :)

73. Christina S says:

always gotta have a good backpack!

74. Ani says:

I love to use the kids backpacks on our trips, I should get my own. Love the JanSport, I used them all through middle & high school.

75. Matt D. says:

Jansport backpacks have always been a great buy. Can’t go wrong with them and the quality is unparalleled!

76. Jamie C. says:

These are awesome! They look like they would hold up for years – I always love it when you find something for school that will be good for more than one school year – that’s ALWAYS a plus!! I don’t think even my 8 year old son could tear these up !!

77. Sonya Parks says:

This would be ideal for my son whom just started college :)

78. Rebecca Peters says:

Huge selection. I love the jansport too, since highschool. I would always get the white ones and doodle all over them. <3 Miss those days!

79. Carrie Hughes Copeland says:

I’ve bought that brand a time or two for my boy. Very nice and reasonable :)

80. Jessica Houston says:

I’ve always loved JanSport backpacks! When I was in school JanSport was the only backpack brand that would last me the whole year WITHOUT ripping!!!!

81. Jasmine Thomas says:

I love the different uses and varieties!

82. Cynthia R says:

I love Jansport backpacks. They wear like iron. I still have mine from college!

83. kathy pease says:

These look like great quality backpacks..I really love the Eagle Creek Dane Bag – Black it is so cute :)

84. I want to get my girls a jansport pack! They are so sturdy, and nice backpacks. Our schools here in the county hand out backpacks to all the students, and they have to carry that one because of the laptops. I would just as soon buy my own laptop backpacks, but they are at least free!

85. Rebecca Parsons says:

This is the backpack I got for my kids. It is durable and will last the whole school year.

86. Wayne Lecoy says:

I liked your Back to School Backpacks From Sport Chalet post.
    The JanSport Right Pack DE Backpack looks like a great product.
    There are no Sport Chalet stores near me but it’s great you can purchase things online from them.

87. Jansport backpacks have always been what i’ve used

88. angela s says:

they have a nice selection.i like that they have one that can carry your laptop and keep it safe

89. Joanna E. says:

I’m glad a husband is also pictured. my hub is a freak for backpacks. Somehow he will need a smaller diaper bag

90. Looks like they’re nice backpacks!

91. Michelle S says:

Glad to see they have a wide selection of backpacks for picky kids!

92. OOOOOO!! I am in need of a new backpack! These are right up my alley:)

93. Bri Sherman says:

I had no idea that Jansport backpacks came with a lifetime warranty – definitely going to have to remember that!!

94. Pam Hoffman says:

Been going to Sports Chalet for years. They have great clearance sales. Usually go there to buy something for camping.

95. Danielle S. says:

Neat backpack to store your stuff in and organize it.

96. Cheryl F. says:

Jansport makes great backpacks. I love their durability.

97. HilLesha says:

I have always loved JanSport. Their backpacks may be simplistic in design, but they’re very durable and long-lasting.

98. Jutta P. says:

I remember how popular JanSport was when I was in school. Glad to see they are still around. I love a pack that is made to protect a laptop. This would be great for when we travel!

99. DASHA says:

Cute! Love the organziation potential.

100. Danielle S. says:

really neat backpack

101. Jana says:

I had many JanSport backpacks growing up. The lasted a long time and as a kid I loved all the pockets to store stuff.

102. My girls had a hard time finding good backpacks this year. I need to invest in one of these

103. Jennifer Dysart says:

I love the organization this backpack helps with, I had a Jansport all thru high school, great bag! I’ll check out Sports Center and see what they think might work for a more daily need

104. Pam OLeary says:

These sound pretty rugged. The backpacks we get at the big retailers don’t make it through the school year.

105. Nancy says:

This looks like a backpack everyone could use in one way or another.

106. Ariel C says:

That Tribal print one is PERFECT!

107. Gianna says:

Those are some long lasting backpacks.

108. Vicki Hall says:

Awesome looking back pack ! I may have have to get one of these for my daughter . She likes to carry everything in her book bag.

109. denise says:

Jansport is a great brand that has been around for years. my daughter had to have a new backpack every year or I might have bought one. Gets expensive for sure.

110. Carly Tea says:

I’m kind of a backpack addict. I love them and buy way too many. I loved Jansport when I was a kid.

111. kathy pease says:

they have awesome products I also love the DC Shoes Women’s Lodge Boot Shoe – Gray

112. Hydee says:

Jansports last forever!! Love them!

113. Deborah Mireles says:

My son just bought one of these and carts it all over even on his business trips. He says its the best one hes ever owne!

114. Robert says:

I’ve always had JanSport backpacks and love the warranty that they provide. These new packs are great.

115. polly says:

I always got my kids Jan Sport Backpacks and they last forever! Love all the colors