Easter Bunny Mini Cupcakes with Jelly Bean Frosting

In Desserts
February 27, 2014

Easter Bunny Cupcakes

Easter is one of my favorite holidays, and has been since I was a small child. Spring is in the air, flowers are blooming, and pastel colors fill my world.

I also enjoy baking for Easter. I have some REALLY fun goodies in store for you this Easter, and today I want to share one of my creations – Easter Bunny Mini Cupcakes!

easter bunny,cupcakes,mini,jelly bean,dessert

I used a traditional boxed white cake mix (I usually make cake from scratch, but was anxious to make these and start decorating!). I used two mini muffin tins and added batter to each cup (about 2/3rds full).  I baked the cupcakes according to the directions (which is always a good idea!), less about 4 minutes.  I suggest checking them frequently, since they are small, to make sure they are not getting too brown and/or overcooked.  I made the frosting from scratch, as I have a favorite recipe from the Beantown Baker website that I have made several times. It is always perfect.  If you haven’t tried her  heavenly Vanilla Buttercream Frosting yet, I highly recommend it.

I love the flavor of jelly beans, so I decided to scrape the outer part of the beans into bowls. It was quite a bit of work, but worth it, in my opinion.

orangecrushed.jpg

I found that if I squashed the jelly beans gently with a dull knife, that the coating breaks apart easily.  I twisted the beans to further remove the coating.  Even if you don’t decide to use the outside of the jelly beans to sprinkle on your frosting, you will still need the beans to make the bunnies!

While the cupcakes are baking, and after the frosting is done, cut each jelly bean in half, lengthwise.  These will be the adorable bunny ears.

After frosting the mini cupcakes (I used a pastry bag), but before the frosting hardens, sprinkle each one with the jelly bean sprinkles.  Carefully add two ears to each cupcake to make your bunny (you could add three ears, I suppose, but that would just be silly).

easter bunny cupcakes,mini,jelly bean

Refrigerate the Easter Bunny Cupcakes so the frosting will harden and the ears will stay in place.

Enjoy!

22 Responses to “Easter Bunny Mini Cupcakes with Jelly Bean Frosting”

1. kath g says:

i’m always on the lookout for clever and easy ideas. this fits both those criteria, thanks.

2. Julie Wood says:

I just love this recipe for Easter Bunny Cupcakes. They look so pretty, and they are easy to make and I like that they are bite size. I am going to make these for Easter next month. Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Colleen Maurina says:

These cupcakes are so creative. I love the idea to make bunny ears from jelly beans – genius! They also look delicious!

4. Mya Murphy says:

These cupcakes are sooo freaking cute!! I want one!!

5. Jackie Holmes says:

These look scrumptious and very cute! Wish I was more of a baker to try it!

6. Vickie Couturier says:

my grandkids would love for me to make these for them,they look so good

7. Brutus Duffy says:

Those are so cute! Wouldn’t thought about using jellybeans for ears-brilliant!

8. kelly willis says:

way to cute i am going to make for the kids for easter

9. Jeffrey Massey says:

nice banky

10. Jeffrey Massey says:

thanks looks like nice banky

11. These are just adorable and the kids would love them for easter. They have mini Jelly beans and I could make baby bunnies to go with the big bunnies just for fun! Thanks for the idea and how to instructions. I pinned to use later :)

12. Helga says:

Those are adorable! A winner for kids!

13. Terra Heck says:

Those look super yummy and festive for the Easter holiday.

14. Sarah L says:

Jelly beans for ears is a very good idea. As is saving the shavings to decorate the cupcakes with.

15. Dana Rodriguez says:

Those are so cute!I love this idea!

16. laurie says:

these are so cute and seem like they are pretty easy to make

17. RICHARD HICKS says:

These are really cute cupcakes. I am always amazed how people come up with ideas to décorate them!

18. Beanybopp says:

Those look so cute and delicious! I would have to try them with jelly bellys…like root beer YUM!

19. Linda Meyers-Gabbard says:

I will be checking the mail daily for my batch to arrive….lol. They are so cute. Perfect size for little hands. You are so creative. Thank you for sharing. I hope you and yours haveca Happy Easter.