Eggland’s Best $25 Visa Gift Card and a 2 Dozen Eggs!!
At some point almost every day I am using an egg. Maybe it is making the banana bread that my daughters love me to make for their snack at school, boiling a half dozen for a filling afternoon snack, or as breakfast for my family.
That is my favorite breakfast right there! We sort of love asparagus around there and if you haven’t tried it for breakfast well, you’re missing out! It is important for me to know that what I am putting in their bodies is good for them. That is why I choose Eggland’s Best Eggs every.single.time.
Not all eggs are created equal you know. Compared to ordinary eggs, Eggland’s Best eggs contain:
10 times more Vitamin E
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps to protect body cells and tissues whether in the heart, skin, lungs, joints or elsewhere in the body. Antioxidants are nutrients in our foods which can prevent, or slow down, the oxidative damage to our bodies. Each EB egg contains 10 times more Vitamin E than ordinary eggs, which is equal to 25% of the recommended daily intake for Vitamin E.
4 times more Vitamin D
- Vitamin D aids in the body’s absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones. It is important for maintaining muscle strength, healthy body fat levels, and body tissue health. Each EB egg contains 4 times more Vitamin D than ordinary eggs, which is equal to 30% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin D.* (*based on third-party testing of ordinary eggs)
More than double the Omega-3
- Omega-3 fatty acids are classified as essential fatty acids because they are important for maintaining good health. Omega-3’s are believed to be beneficial for heart health, brain and eye function, infant development, and alleviating hypertension. Our bodies do not produce omega-3’s naturally, therefore, they must be obtained from food sources.
25% less saturated fat
- Reducing the amount of saturated fat is recommended for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels and cardiovascular functions.
3 times more Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B12 is important for healthy protein metabolism, as well as cognitive, cardiovascular, and nervous system health. Vitamin B12 is needed for the process of converting carbohydrates, fats, and proteins from food into energy. It also helps form healthy red blood cells.
38% more lutein
- Lutein is an important antioxidant that helps maintain healthy vision and overall eye health. Lutein may slow the effects of age-related macular degeneration, and it is an important nutrient for those who may be at risk for cataracts
Today I am going to share with you an easy recipe that I make for my family often. I change things almost every time though, you know to keep them on their toes. Most often I use quinoa noodles but on this night I decided to use up a spaghetti squash I had. Talk about an easy way to get those veggies into your kiddos without even having to “hide” them. For me sharing this recipe Eggland’s Best will donate $25 to the American Heart Association. Awesome right? I hope that you enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Carbonara (loosely named)
As for my ingredients (which is why I loosely named it) I grab what I have handy. Today was some asparagus that I found in the clearance bin at my grocer. Typically I use peas but I thought bacon, squash, and asparagus – YUM! Back to my version of an old classic:
1 medium spaghetti squash (mine was about 4 pounds)
Bacon – approximately 7 slices
1 bunch of asparagus – I cut each piece in half
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Egglands Best eggs (1 or 2 per person)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, spray with olive oil, and I seasoned oil with salt and pepper. Cut your squash in half (this will take some muscles and also BE CAREFUL) and place cut side down on foil. I baked my 4 pounder for about 60 minutes until it was completely tender. Remove and let cool. Your home will smell heavenly when it is done cooking!
I baked my 4 pounder for about 60 minutes until it was completely tender. Remove and let cool. Your home will smell heavenly when it is done cooking! While the squash is cooking down you can start on your bacon.
Now while you are cooking the bacon shred your squash to give you that wonderful spaghetti everyone loves!
After cooked drain on some paper towel and save about 2 tablespoons of your grease from the bacon! You will need to chop up your bacon to add to dish later.
Add a tablespoon of butter, the 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, the asparagus, and minced garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Add your chopped bacon.
and the spaghetti squash. Toss well.
Here is where I am a total newbie. A few weeks ago I read a tutorial on how to poach eggs. In the past I have used eggs over easy making carbonara but now that I have realized I am capable of poaching I am sort of addicted to becoming amazing at it. I have a long way to go.
Get that water bowling and add salt and a teaspoon of vinegar.
Crack egg into ramekin or small bowl.
Gently make a funnel in the water.
Add egg. See it in there? I cook it for about 2 minutes.
I set them on paper towel and right before I am ready to serve put them back in the hot water for 30 sec or so. Ready?
Scoop out a serving from your skillet, add your egg of choice (poached or over easy), and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and I added cracked pepper as well. This is loved by us and I hope you give it a try too.
Maybe my recipe isn’t up your alley (although I am not sure why it is really delish, seriously!). Follow Eggland’s Best on Facebook where they share all sorts of great recipes and Twitter. Follow all Eggland’s Best boards on Pinterest and repin away. Eggland’s Best would like to give you the opportunity to create your own heart healthy recipes! Up for grabs is:
o 2 free dozen EB coupons
o $25 visa gift card
o 1 EB plush egg
Giveaway will end February 13, 2013. Thanks for reading and good luck!
*Jessie received the above prize as well for her to get ingredients for review. However all opinions are her own! But I really am loyal to Eggland’s Best over all other eggs
The Eggland’s Best coupon, information, and two gift packs have been provided by Eggland’s Best