Spring is the perfect time to bake a cake! The beautiful colors and flowers of the season and the celebrations that accompany spring break, so wonderful! That’s why when I learned that Duncan Hines would be sending me a goodie bag containing their new Spring Velvets cake mix to review, I knew I would have oodles of fun with it!
The first thing I did was follow a lovely recipe for a Spring Velvets Checkerboard Cake from the Duncan Hines website:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 9×6 loaf pans with shortening or oil spray.
- Prepare the batters according to the package directions and scoop each batter into each pan.
- Bake 30-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out free of crumbs. Cool completely.
- Slice the pink velvet in half lengthwise. Then take each half and slice it in half vertically. You will have 4 strips of cake.
- Repeat the above process with the yellow velvet.
- Place a pink slice next to a yellow slice onto a plate. Ice the top with frosting.
- Next place a yellow slice on top of the pink slice and a pink slice on top of a yellow slice, Ice the top.
- Repeat the above process until there are no more remaining cake slices.
- Frost the entire cake upon completing the 4-layer checkerboard.
- Tip- You can build as many checkerboards as you want; you just need to cut smaller slices of cake.
- Refer to picture for guidance.
I served my Duncan Hines Spring Velvets Checkerboard Cake at my daughter’s Girl Scout pinning ceremony and it made for a perfect ice breaker. Parents I hadn’t met yet and otherwise shy children were all coming up to me to tell me how delicious my cake was and it wasn’t even the only cake there, so I know it must have been fantastic!
The kids really wanted to have some cake since it was all gobbled up before they could try it, so I made another cake with the basic recipe on the Duncan Hines Spring Velvets box. I hadn’t even finished washing frosting from my hands before my husband had returned from work, eaten a slice, and came to tell me, “The cake tastes great!”
The Duncan Hines Spring Velvets cakes are so pretty, tasty, and easy to make, be sure to pick up at least one to celebrate spring!
You can purchase Duncan Hines Spring Velvets throughout May at retailers near you, like your local grocery store or Target or Wal-Mart, with the suggested retail price of the Duncan Hines Spring Velvets Cake Mix is $1.99. I also highly recommend trying their Salted Caramel brownies which were also absolutely spectacular, as well as so many other Duncan Hines products!
Visit Duncan Hines on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with their latest news, specials, and more! You can also join the Duncan Hines Baker’s Club at their website to receive recipes, discounts, samples, tips, etc.!
*Tiffany received the above product(s), free of charge, to facilitate this review. All opinions are those of reviewer only.