As I grow older, I notice things that I never thought would happen to me somehow. Do these happen to you?
You know you’re growing older when…
1. You can’t remember how old you are! Just yesterday, I could not remember and had to count the decades on my fingers to find out my age (because I don’t think I ever got past a kindergartner’s math level).
2. You need a magnifying glass to read. Really? It takes me 20 minutes or so to enter a number (ie account number) on the computer. I was setting up BillPay this morning and was trying to enter our account number from the paper bill. As I grow older, my eyes only get worse. Trying to read small print is such a chore. I glanced at the paper, and after what seemed like an eternity, I read three numbers, entered them on the computer, then spent another 10 minutes focusing on the remaining numbers to enter them. Don’t even get me started on trying to read medicine bottles!
3. You stand up from a sitting position and you hear snap, crackle, pop (and from my mouth you hear OWWW, OMG, and possibly a little of #@$#!). I limp along until after a few minutes the pain subsides.
4. You dread when you have to crouch down on your knees (say to look at something on a bottom shelf at the store), and it is a big production to get back up. For me, I tend to count quietly to myself – 1,2,3 PUSH! And I hoist/hurl myself back into a standing position, repeating the verbiage in #3 above.
5. Along the same lines as #4 above: You find it easier to just bend at the hip, with your bum in the air. Make sure you point it in the direction AWAY from people if you do this…because nobody wants to see it…trust me. I remember when I was a kid, I’d giggle when my mom would bend over this way, wondering why she didn’t just bend her knees to pick something up. Now I know. OH how I know. So yes, you will often find me in the kitchen with my arse in the air, scrubbing the floor, feeding the cats, etc.
6. You forget what you were doing. Yeah, just like that. I will walk into a room with purpose and find myself standing in the middle wondering what the heck I came in there for. I literally JUST came in there to do something. What was it?? I finally give up, leave the room, get settled on the couch again and then I remember. Then I have to start all over. UGH.
7. You start telling a story and feel like a moron when you stop mid-sentence and cannot remember for the life of you, where you were going with said story. This is such a stupid feeling, but it happens to me all the time. I get really annoyed when someone interrupts me when I am on a roll and actually remember what I was going to say.
8. You can say with ease that something happened “30 years ago”. Then it sinks in and you realize that cannot possibly be right!
9. You catch yourself saying, “Back when I was a kid…” and you cringe just a little.
10. You just don’t give a damn. Yes, I used to actually give a damn!
What things happen to you to remind you that you’re getting older?