Emergency One-Egg Brownies Recipe

In Contributors
September 2, 2011

Emergency One-Egg Brownies Recipe

So last weekend there was a little hurricane happening on the East Coast (perhaps you heard?). And unfortunately for me, I had a hankering for brownies that just couldn’t be denied and only one egg on hand. When I Googled for brownie recipes that only used one egg, I couldn’t find much. So I adapted the recipe I usually use by making the recipe in half. And since I had peanut butter, I added that too. Who doesn’t like peanut butter brownies?!

The other big problem was that since I was making the recipe in half, I needed to figure out what to bake the brownies in–I don’t think 4 x 4 baking dishes exist, do they? So I MacGyvered it and used a muffin tin. This recipe is perfect for an after-school treat for the kids (or maybe an evening treat for yourself!) since it makes 6 cupcake-sized brownies.

Peanut Butter Brownies
One-Egg Peanut Butter Brownies
Serves 6

1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. white flour
2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
3 tsp. creamy peanut butter

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease cupcake pan with butter or cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well-combined. Stir in butter.

In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Pour dry mixture into sugar mixture and stir until well-combined and lumps are gone.

Divide brownie batter evenly into 6 cupcake cups. In the center of each cupcake, drop 1/2 tsp. of peanut butter. Marble the surface of the cupcakes by swirling peanut butter and batter together with a toothpick. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Dial NutriSkin Review, Chamomile Lotions,

19 Responses to “Emergency One-Egg Brownies Recipe”

1. 1955nurse says:

Great recipe to tuck back for that time when you are short on a mix & eggs! Thanks….

2. Louise says:

They are really pretty!

3. Janice Cooper says:

Wow you did a great job for these to be emergency brownies. Love it. I would love to make this minus the peanut butter (because I’m allergic to peanuts). Love the face only 1 egg is needed.

4. Leah Baird says:

My grandma makes great brownies with a peanut butter icing on it, they are to die for.

5. Rebekah says:

Kristen,
    You are my new best friend. Tonight, I found myself in a similiar predicament, no hurricane on the way, but only one egg and a serious craving for something chocolate. I too wanted to add peanut buter. This shortened, quick recipe was easy to throw together and I even added white chocolate chips to the batter. Thanks for doing the leg work for me! I was very excited to find this post. Cheers! :)

6. Rebekah says:

I meant Jennifer, not Kristen. Sorry about that!

7. Christina says:

I made these brownies when I had an all too frequent chocolate craving but only had one egg. They were so quick and easy to whip up and the favor and texture was perfect! I am making them again tonight and I can’t wait! Thank you so much for this recipe. It is my new stand by for awesome, easy brownies!

8. Kaye says:

Friday night and my husband and I had just eaten enchiladas and were both craving chocolate. Neither one of us felt like getting back out. I came upon Jennifer’s recipe and, yes, I had all the ingredients. Only problem…neither my husband nor I likes chocolate and peanut butter mixed. So I created marbled brownies by mixing whipped cream cheese, a little agave nectar, and a tad of vanilla. I replace the peanut butter with the swirled cream cheese concoction. Delish!

9. Daniela Teixeira says:

This was outstanding! I followed the measurements and ingredients& it came out great! I was craving regular brownies so I did it add the peanut butter but it was still amazing. One thing that I did change was I didn’t have regular cocoa powder so I just used Nesquick.

10. Corinne says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I just baked them this lunch and sure thing a big hit! I hope you don’t mind that I tweaked the ingredients a bit. I use only what’s available in my pantry. I also posted my version in my blog and of course gave you credits =)

more power to mommy bakers like you!

11. Kelly says:

Thank you! I have been craving brownies got everything out and then realized I only had one egg. This is perfect!

12. Ordinary J says:

I will add this to my list of recipe to try.

13. I love that when I thought I had everything for brownies and then realized there was only one egg at home, I googled brownies with one egg and got this recipe. Because: emergency! Yes.