Autumn is my favorite time of year. Hearing the crunch of fallen leaves beneath our feet, breathing in a crispness to the air, and tasting the abundance of apples here in Washington state. It’s the season for apples! Apple pie, homemade apple sauce, apple chips… Yep! Bare Fruit Apple Chips are a delicious, guilt-free snack. Perfect for snacking on the go, packing in the lunch box, or setting some out at your next fall party.
Bare Fruit kindly sent us a case of their bake-dried Cinnamon Apple Chips to enjoy. And enjoy them we did! Made simply with organic apples and organic cinnamon – no added sugar or preservatives. So there’s no guess work with the ingredients. I love that the apples are from my home state. Bare Fruit explains the importance of sourcing local produce for their products:
Bare Fruit is sourced in the United States which is important for several reasons. US grown apples, cherries, and other fruits have a quality advantage over those grown elsewhere. For example, the climate in the Pacific Northwest is perfect for growing the sweetest apples in the world. Also, by keeping things close to home, we reduce carbon emissions and support the US economy. Finally, while possible, it is awfully hard to manage true US organic standards in other countries.
Aside from enjoying these crispy, naturally sweet Apple Chips as is, you can also use them to zhush up your autumn recipes. One of my favorite weekend breakfasts to make this time of year is Sparkling Apple Cider “Gravy” Smothered Waffles:
- Plump 1 cup the Bare Fruit Cinnamon Apple Chips in some heated organic sparkling cider. Drain, reserving liquid. Chop apple chips.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add your hydrated and chopped Cinnamon Apple Chips.
- Clear an area in the center of the pan to start making your roux. Add 2 pats of organic butter, letting it melt completely. Then add 1 TB organic flour, mix it with the butter allowing it to soak it all up. Let this cook a little to rid the flour taste, let it get golden in color.
- Slowly add organic sparkling cider, 2 to 3 turns around the pan, mixing well. It will fizz! Just keep mixing and slowly bring the apples into the center of the pan again to coat in the gravy.
- Reduce heat to low, allowing your “gravy” to thicken. Add more cider if need be, just be sure to mix it thoroughly. Spoon over homemade organic waffles for a delicious breakfast.
Bare Fruits Apple Chips are also gluten free and kosher certified and can be purchased at your local health food or grocery store. Feel free to connect with Bare Fruit on Facebook!
One Eighty MPH Mom reader will win a 12 pack case of Bare Fruit Organic Apple Chips!
Open to US residents
*Erin received the above product, free of charge, to facilitate this review. Any opinion expressed is her own. Review product provided by Bare Fruit.