Sometimes when we’re running around after the kids, it feels like my husband and I are just catching each other in passing. A kiss on the way to the trash can or a loving caress while doing the dishes, it’s important to us to have those little moments but it’s so imperative to a relationship to make space to spend quality time together. The question is, once the hustle and bustle of the home calms down, what can you do to enjoy your time together?
The simple answer would be nothing, to just lie back on your couch together and snuggle with a little pillow talk but if you’re anything like me, that might be a bit too boring. I’ve devised a list of some dates ideas for both indoors and outdoors, with a babysitter and without, to help spruce up your special time with your partner!
Got a babysitter? Staying indoors?
1. Netflix let’s you binge watch TV shows, old and new. After the kids are in bed, we can go crazy with our shows. We watched LOST, Breaking Bad, and we’re still watching Supernatural together. Not only does it give us something to do while we cuddle up on the couch, but it adds to discussion topics and debates! “What do you think will happen next?” “How do you like that character’s growth so far?” “Is this person more good or evil?”
2. Board games are my best friend. Anyone can find a game that caters to their interests, be it trivia, words, or strategy. My personal favorite is Hollywood Game Night, with a variety of different entertainment-themed games, or Pressure Point where you’ll guess how many answers the other person can come up with. Neither of them are intended for just two players but we modify what we have to, or play Scrabble-like games.
3. There are a variety of video games you might be surprised you would enjoy, too. My husband is a fan of role-playing computer games, but these aren’t for me. Together, we play trivia and word games on the computer and on occasion, we go old-school and play some Mario against each other.
Have a babysitter and looking to go out?
1. Dinner and a movie is a simple go-to date option but try changing up your restaurant options. Go to a place that serves foreign cuisine, maybe somewhere you can cozy up on the floor and try something totally new, or one of the old-fashioned restaurants where they bring your food to your car!
2. Go to a concert! So many parks and communities drum up more business by holding free concerts in their venue! It’s probably not going to be Brad Paisley or Maroon 5 but it’s a good time, still getting you swaying and rocking with your love.
3. Something that may not be for everyone but my hubby and I love to do is go ghost hunting! He’s a big believer while I’ve never experienced anything in my life but it’s so entertaining for us both nonetheless. We search and read up on historical and ghostly accounts where we live or where we’re willing to travel to. Some places are formal with a tour and explanation of the backstory, where others are just an abandoned village we read about. It can get spooky too, so huddling close together ends up being a bonus!
4. Plan a scavenger hunt! This probably sounds completely crazy to some but we were at a renaissance faire (another great option, by the way!) recently and there was a scavenger hunt that my husband just could not get enough of! Leave clues and hidden items scattered about and if you’re in that kind of mood, make them flirtatious and lead them toward the bedroom.
5. You can go on a nature hike, historical tours, or even spelunking!
Aiming to get out and can’t get a sitter?
1. Drive-in movies are a spectacular night out if you can find one nearby! We actually bring my son along with us and we can still snuggle up and enjoy our popcorn and treats from the luxury of our car!
2. Maybe it’s our love for competition but sports really get us going too. One-on-one basketball, a game of tennis, even miniature golf are great ways to have fun together! If you’re feeling really froggy, make a wager that the loser does all of the laundry for a week, or something a little more risque even. 😉
3. Go on a picnic. Choose a location with lots of empty space for the kids to run around and then you and your spouse can relax together and feed each other grapes while your children play ball or chase each other around.
4. Skating is something you can do together that, depending on the ages of your littles, the kids can enjoy too! Holding hands, listening to the songs you grew up loving, getting some exercise, who can beat that?!
Anything you enjoy doing alone, you can basically make an activity for two so try! There’s no reason to have to get stuck doing the same old things you’re tired of, make date night a great night!
Want to know Jennifer’s secrets to a successful marriage? Read her post on The Three C’s of a Successful Marriage!