Mould is a controversial topic. A lot of people claim that it’s absolutely harmless, while others say that it can be very dangerous. In fact, a specific type of mould called ‘toxic black mould’ has been identified as the potential cause of actress Brittney Murphy’s (and her partner’s) death.
You can find mould in most people’s houses. It is unavoidable. The good thing is that mould can be very easily cleaned off by mold removal experts. However, just because it can be cleaned away does not mean that it can’t hurt you.
This post will tell you everything that you need to know about mould and its impact on the human body.
Before addressing this post’s main topic, it’s first important to mention that you can have mould professionally removed. A lot of people are too nervous to go anywhere near mould because they have heard that it can cause serious health problems. Because of this, professional mould removal services are often called in. Without going into too much detail in this section, there is a type of mould that can be extremely dangerous and without a doubt can cause some very serious health problems.
If you identify the mould in your house as being this type, which is typically black, then yes, professional removal is essential. You shouldn’t ever attempt to remove toxic black mould yourself. Trying to get rid of black mould yourself can release more spores into the air, which you can then inhale or get in your eyes.
Can Mould Hurt You?
In short, yes mould can hurt you. However, not all mould can. There are millions of different types of mould. 99% of these moulds are completely harmless unless you have underlying health problems like asthma. The amount of mould that you are exposed to is also a factor. Even a harmless mould can become dangerous if you are surrounded by large amounts of it. It is also worth noting that some people have very specific mould allergies, so even relatively harmless moulds can be dangerous because they are allergic to them.
In the previous section, mould identification was mentioned. While toxic black mould is indeed very dangerous and can cause serious health problems, there are a lot of moulds that are black and that aren’t dangerous. The easiest way to tell whether or not the mould you have in your house is dangerous is to contact a professional mould removal specialist and ask them to conduct a spore test. They will take a sample of the mould and then check whether or not it is toxic black mould, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum.
Who Is Most At Risk?
The people most at risk are those with underlying health problems like asthma, or really any respiratory condition. People with mould allergies are also at risk. Even the most benign mould can cause people with allergies very unwanted symptoms. As with any allergy, frequent exposure can cause the symptoms of allergy to get worse, and even result in anaphylactic shock. Mould releases spores into the air, so even if you have mould upstairs in a locked room, the allergens that it releases can affect somebody downstairs who has never been into that room. Mould spores also help it to spread.
What Symptoms Can Mould Cause?
The symptoms caused by mould depend largely upon the type of mould. For example, toxic black mould can cause intense fatigue and respiratory conditions. It can lead to pneumonia, and even death, as is supposedly the case in Brittany Murphy’s death. Mould can also cause allergy flair-ups, as already mentioned. If you frequently experience allergy symptoms when you are at home and you don’t live in an especially dusty house (as dust allergies can be a problem), then the problem could be caused by mould. Early identification is essential if you want the best treatment outcome.
Treating the Cause
Finally, once you have had mould removed by a professional company, you need to make sure that you treat the underlying cause. Mould is caused by dampness more often than not. If you have any damp walls, then mould will probably form there. It is very common for people who do not have extractor fans in their bathrooms to get mould build-up. If you have a bathroom that has no window, then make sure that you install an extractor fan. An extractor fan will remove all of the humid air from the bathroom. If you have any rooms in your house where mould builds up, keep the windows open to let damp air out, and look for burst pipes.
Mould can be a big problem for some people. If you are susceptible to mould or have mould allergies, then you need to make sure that you hire a professional company to help you to get rid of any that could be present in your house. Professional removal is essential so that you don’t release any spores