To say that looking after kids is time-consuming is an incredible understatement. Getting some time to yourself feels nearly impossible, especially if your children are still young. Because of this stress, when you have some alone time, exercising or losing weight is perhaps the last thing you want to think about.
Despite this, there are ways to streamline your weight loss and fitness regimes to fit more snugly with your family life.
Prioritize a Balanced Diet
When parenting, it is often natural to neglect what you eat and frequently snack to save time and keep a closer eye on children. These habits are noticeably detrimental to weight loss, and admittedly, they are hard to break out of. You may not even believe they are worth breaking out of.
However, unhealthy eating and frequent snacking will not only prove detrimental to weight loss and physical health it can also harm mental health. Paying attention to what you eat can boost your concentration and attention plan while improving sleep and overall mood. Though cooking while looking after your children can be tricky, there are a few ways to solve these problems.
- Meal Prep: Some parents see their children’s bedtime as an opportunity to prepare meals for the next day. Doing so opens up time in the day proceeding. Luckily, with meal prep becoming more popular, plenty of recipe ideas are available online.
- Use Leftovers: Particularly for larger families and parents of fussy eaters, leftovers can be a lifesaver. To save time, try to reuse everything you can (within reason, always consider expiry dates).
- Deliveries: Grocery and meal prep deliveries can always be a lifesaver for busy parents.
When it comes to food, remember that you are your children’s role model. If you maintain a balanced diet, your child is likely to do so and reap the rewards of eating healthily when they age.
A workout is tiring enough; once you add in a stressful day of parenting and possibly work, you can see why any parent would struggle to fit the gym into their schedule. Combining your workout with a family day out is an excellent way to streamline your schedule and squeeze in some exercise for yourself. Involving your children in physical activities will give them and you a good bit of exercise and some much-needed downtime. Thankfully there are so many options you could consider. Some indoor activities include:
- Dancing: There are so many different styles of dancing to choose from, all of which are fun and great for staying in shape.
- Swimming: Water workouts are excellent for burning calories and are also light on your joints and muscles.
And if you prefer spending your time outdoors, here are some more ideas:
- Cycling: A journey on a bike can be an excellent way to explore the outdoors with your child.
- Team Sports: These can help you and your child bond and improve your ability to work together.
The exercise will benefit you as a parent in many ways. Not only will it help you on your weight loss journey, it will also create bonding time between you and your children and even tire them out, so you can get some well-deserved me-time as they sleep.
Parenting is one of the most rewarding experiences out there, but because of this, it is also one of the most challenging. Managing the stress of parenting will be integral to your health and ability to maintain a healthy weight. Stress can cause unnatural weight loss or cause your body to crave more sugar. This will eventually contribute to weight gain. Because of the detriments of stress to health, as a parent, it is essential to find ways to cope with stress and create outlets in which you can alleviate the pressure on yourself. If you are insistent on losing weight but are struggling under the burden of your responsibilities, it may be worthwhile to contact a weight loss clinic to gain access to professional advice.
Looking after your health as a parent can sometimes be challenging. We often neglect ourselves to ensure that our children are as healthy and happy as possible. Though this response is admirable and natural, to parent to the best of your ability, looking after yourself is a must. When you are in the best shape, both emotionally and physically, your decision-making and clarity of thinking will improve significantly, allowing you to make the wisest choices concerning your children’s future.
If you are struggling with parenting and are looking for ways to improve your mental health. Here are some steps to improve your self-esteem and feel better about yourself.